Latest TwitterTweets by @RutlishSchool
Mobile phones, MP3 players, iDevices, smart watches etc. and their increasing sophistication present a number of issues in schools:
- The high monetary value.
- The integration of cameras leading to potential child protection and data protection issues.
- The potential for mobile technology to be used to bully other students.
- The potential to disrupt teaching and learning.
- The potential to use texting/messaging during the school day and whilst on silent mode.
- The time taken to investigate phone/device related incidents.
- The potential for malpractice in exams.
The School has, therefore, adopted a Zero Tolerance Policy which will be rigorously enforced.
- Phones and electronic devices (including headphones) will be confiscated and given to PC Crouch for storage.
- The Parents/Carer will be contacted and asked to collect the phone/device a week later.
- The incident will be logged on our Behaviour Management System.
- Any student who refuses to hand over the complete phone (battery and SIM card)/device when requested will be removed from the lesson by either PC Crouch or a member of the Senior Leadership Team. This in turn will lead to 1 day in Isolation in the first event and then a Fixed Term Exclusion for repeat offences.
- In circumstances where there is a suspicion that material on a phone is unsuitable the phone will be handed over to the Police for further investigation.
We understand that a parent/carer may wish for their son to have a mobile phone for their journey to and from school. In this situation a student should hand his phone/device into the school admin team before tutor time at the designated place for their year group. Students are made aware of where this will be for their year group.
- If a student needs to contact his parents/carers they will be allowed to use a school phone.
- If parents/carers need to contact their son(s) urgently they should phone the school office and a message will be relayed promptly.
- Rutlish School accepts no responsibility whatsoever for theft, loss or damage relating to phones/devices including those handed in / confiscated.
- Rutlish School will not investigate theft, loss or damage relating to phones/devices.