The Governing Body
The Governing Body has general responsibility for seeing that a school is run effectively, acting within the framework set by legislation and the policies of the Local Authority and the Governing Body. It works with the Headteacher and leadership team to set priorities and targets for the school, and monitors progress against these targets.
Copies of Governing Body minutes and the School Information Publication Scheme which lists all the information which is publicly available, can be obtained from the Clerk via the School Office.
Parliament has given a range of duties and powers to Governing Bodies under the Education Acts – they include the following:
- Overseeing the management of the school including the budget and how, in strategic terms, it should be run.
- Ensuring the School Development Plan is implemented in accordance with Ofsted criteria.
- Setting appropriate targets for pupil achievement at KS3, KS4 (GCSE & BTEC) and KS5 (GCE & BTEC).
- Determining the staff complement and a pay policy for the school.
- Participating in the appointment of the Headteacher, Deputy Headteachers and other staff.
- Regulating staff conduct and discipline.
- Drawing up an Action Plan after an Ofsted inspection.
The Rutlish Governing Body has been made up of 16 Governors, as follows:
- 3 Parent Governors
- 1 Staff Governor
- 1 Headteacher
- 4 Foundation Governors – nominated by the Rutlish Foundation
- 1 Local Authority Governor – nominated by the Local Authority
- 5 Co-opted Governors
- 1 Associate Member (from September 2019)
In general, the workload of Governors involves attending and contributing to the meetings of the Governing Body and its Committees. Currently the Full Governing Body meets five times each school year and the Committees each meet on the same cycle. Each Governor is asked to serve as a member on two Committees. Meetings are generally in the late afternoon or early evening.
Or write to the school at :
Please click here to meet the Governing Body
Structure and Remit Information
Please see our section on Policies for more information
If you would like copies of any meeting minutes please contact the school office.